laurenletter

Cupid’s arrow: More Deadly for Pets

In Health Tips on February 15, 2013 at 6:19 pm


imagesValentines day isn’t just bad for those of you who are single. When receiving chocolate and flowers from loved ones, family, and friends, dog and cat owners need to remember Valentines gifts can be deadly.

Dog owners are told time and time again that chocolate is toxic to dogs. But are you ever told why? Theobromine, which is a main ingredient in chocolate, is deadly. The darker the chocolate, the more theobromine it contains.

When dogs eat chocolate, you might notice your dog vomiting, having diarrhea, or being hyperactive. Over time, the theobromine is absorbed slowly. In humans it usually takes about 40 minutes to absorb. In dogs, it takes about 18 hours for just half the amount to absorb. With time your dog’s heart rate will increase causing arrhythmias, restlessness, muscle twitching, and excessive panting. If you don’t start treatment soon and if your dog has eaten too much your dog could become over heated, have seizures, and even die.

There is one safe chocolate out there for your furry child. White chocolate! White chocolate does not contain any theobromine so it is safe to give your pet. Many doggy treats are dipped in white chocolate. Though, you don’t want to fill your dogs bowl with a huge bar of white chocolate. I may be safe, but if they eat too much, it can cause some gastrointestinal problems like diarrhea. So unless you want a dog causing a mess, limit the amount of chocolaty treats!

Now, for cat owners, you probably know a few key plants and flowers which are toxic for your cat. But you might not be aware of all of the poisonous plants out there. I would love to list them all but it would take me hours and it would take you forever to read them all.  Instead here are a few common Valentines flowers that are toxic: Roses cause bone depletion, Hibiscus cause vomiting, diarrhea, and anorexia; Tulips cause vomiting, depression, diarrhea, and hypersalivation. The highest concentration of toxicity is in the bulb. Carnations can cause mild GI signs like vomiting and diarrhea. Iris’ cause salivation, vomiting, lethargy, diarrhea, and the highest concentration in the rhizomes.

Now, if you have a lot of plants and flowers in your house, the ASPCA website has a great list of poisonous plants listed. It also tells you what signs you will see if your cat eats said plant. Remember, just take a look at the website to get an idea before you notice your cat chomping on your new flowers!

Again, Valentines can be a special day, but as a pet owner you need to remember that what you receive might not be good for your ‘kid’. Are there any other Valentines gifts I may have forgotten? If so, list them!

Comment, post, question, and learn. Lets connect!

twitter

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: