laurenletter

Rat Poison the Toxicity that Haunts

In Health Tips on March 4, 2013 at 1:46 pm

Poison_Labels_by_brainwreckI can’t even count the number of dog’s I’ve seen come in because they ate mouse poison. We all hopefully know that mouse poison is toxic to pets. I mean, how do you think it works on killing mice? It contains a substance called an anticoagulant. This causes the mouse to lose the function to clot blood. When a dog or cats eats it, they also lose that function.

The hard part about this, is when an animal eats the poison, we usually don’t see it. The problem with not physically catching your pet in the act means you have no idea they have been poisoned. Symptoms usually don’t start until a week after ingestion. At this point, treatment is difficult and expensive. Many pets don’t make it.


Symptoms:

Many owners catch that their pet isn’t right because they start bleeding somewhere. Commonly the animal will get nosebleeds, urinate blood, have blood in their feces, bruise easily, vomit blood, or even ooze blood from their gums. The animal tends to be weak due to lack of blood volume, and is probably accumulating blood somewhere inside the body.

Treatment:

If you are lucky enough to catch your pet eating mouse poison, of any kind, make him/her vomit right away! By keeping fresh hydrogen peroxide around the house, this can be a quick and easy step. Give your dog about 1 Tbls for every 15 pounds. You can either put it straight in your pet’s mouth or mix it with bread or peanut butter. To be honest, if your pet ate mouse poisoning, this shouldn’t be too difficult of a task, your pet clearly will eat anything! If your pet doesn’t vomit within 15 minute’s, give another dosing of the hydrogen peroxide.

Be sure to get your animal into the vet right away so they can start treating with vitamin K.

Now, if you don’t catch your pet eating poison, but you do see signs of bleeding, get to a vet right away. Your vet will run a variety of blood tests to determine the severity. Your pet will receive blood products to return the blood loss. Your pet will also receive vitamin K to return the clotting factors. Your pet likely will stay at the vet anywhere from days to weeks depending on how bad the toxicity is.

Prevent:

Now, I get why you would have mouse poison around the house. Mice can cause a lot of damage, and a lot of people are afraid of them. But having this toxic substance around the house, even in place where you think your dog can’t get to, is not always safe. Pets are tricky. They will work and work at something until they get it. You probably already know this. The best bet to prevent a poisoning from happening is to keep all blocks, pellets, etc. of the mouse poisoning out of your home, garage, and any other place your animals goes. There are other options to kill mice. Try the old fashion traps. The good thing is if your pet triggers a trap, there is a small likelihood they are going to get trapped in it!

Have you had a pet eat mouse poison? Have you even thought about the dangers of keeping it around? On a side note, keeping the pet poison helplines number on hand is always a great resource when you’re in a time crunch 1-800-213-6680.

Comment, post, question, and learn. Lets connect!

twitter

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: