laurenletter

Easter Lilies and Your Cat

In Health Tips on March 26, 2013 at 9:55 am

As Easter is fast approaching I want to stress to every cat owner about the potential hazards that may take over your house without even realizing it. With Easter, comes flowers, candies, and other materials cats think are toys and dinner.

photo (1) copyLilies:

I hope if you own a cat you are aware of the dangers lilies bring to your pet. When a cat eats a lily you don’t physically see any signs of toxicity until 6-12 hours after ingestion. At this point you might notice your cat vomiting, seeming lethargic, or just acting sick. Unfortunately we are not sure why lilies are toxic, but we do know that the entire plant can cause problems for cats if ingested. If your cat is not treated right away, your pet could develop kidney failure.

If you do notice that your cat has eaten any part of a lily take him/her into your vet right away. They will want to start IV fluids to flush the toxicity out of your cats system. They will also start your cat on stomach protectants.

With medical treatment right away, your cat will leave the hospital healthy and ready to eat more lilies. The key, keep them out of reach!

Candy, Chocolate, and Gum:

In many candies and gums contains an ingredient called Xylitol. This is important to know because it is extremely toxic to dogs. Xylitol is lethal at a very small dose. A 10-pound dog could die if it consumes one stick of gum containing xylitol. If consumed, dogs can develop hypoglycemia (low glucose) or hepatic necrosis (liver failure).

Chocolate as many know is toxic to dogs as well. It contains an ingredient called theobromine. The darker the chocolate, the more toxic it becomes. If your dog consumes chocolate you might see the following signs: excitement, tremors, vomiting, diarrhea, excess thirst, seizures, and possibly a coma.

If your dog consumes chocolate or candy make sure to have them vomit right away. Also call your vet. They will give you specific instructions on what to do. Before calling your vet, try to get a good idea of how much they ate and exactly what it was. This way your vet can determine how toxic what they ate is.

Easter Grass:

One last item around during Easter is the Easter grass many products come with. Cats are highly interested in this stuff. It is light and moves around while making a fun sound. And as you know since owning a cat, cats love to eat things like this. If your cat does eat this, or anything else like strings, this is very dangerous because it can cause a linear foreign body.

The reason linear foreign bodies are so dangerous is because they can cut away at your cat’s intestines and esophagus. Once a cat consumes Easter grass I would not recommend pulling it out or making your cat vomit. If you pull it out, it could cause more damage if it is further down in the digestive track. Take your cat to your vet, they will know the best procedure.

Conclusion:

Keep plants, candies, chocolate, and Easter grass away from your pets! Easter is supposed to be spent with family and friends, not in the emergency room for your cat or dog. As an owner your responsibility is to keep them healthy and safe!

Has your pet gotten into something over a holiday and landed you in the emergency room?

Comment, post, question, and learn. Lets connect!

twitter

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: