laurenletter

Posts Tagged ‘emergency’

Animal Gun Shot Wounds

In Health Tips on May 3, 2013 at 5:01 pm

If your pet was shot by a gun, no matter the location, you are going to want to get him/her to the vet a.s.a.p. But before getting into the car there are a few things to do.

If you can, try and see if your pet is still breathing and has a pulse. If not begin CPR. Start by giving your pet 5-10 breaths by closing their mouth and breathing into their nose. You should see their chest rise. If there is no pulse, being compressions to the chest. Your pet can be laid on their side and you can give compressions on the side of the chest. Rotate between breaths and compressions.

If you have a second person, have them try to apply pressure to the wound. If you are in the middle of a field use as clean of a shirt or piece of material you have. Either apply pressure with your hands or wrap it around.

Next, get into your car and get to the vet. If you can, try and call to give them a heads up, this way they can be prepared!

At the vet let them know everything you have done. Most likely they are going to ask if you would like CPR preformed and then take your pet away from you into their emergency room. I know you will want to go with, but it truly is best if you stay in the waiting room. While you wait clean yourself up a bit. Someone will come back to update you and get information about what it going on as soon as they can.

This is a very real problem. Many hunting dogs will accidentally be shot when out and about in the field. Just be prepared to take action! What questions do you have?

Here is a video to learn more about performing CPR on pets. 

Comment, post, question, and learn. Lets connect!

twitter

Rat Poison the Toxicity that Haunts

In Health Tips on March 4, 2013 at 1:46 pm

Poison_Labels_by_brainwreckI can’t even count the number of dog’s I’ve seen come in because they ate mouse poison. We all hopefully know that mouse poison is toxic to pets. I mean, how do you think it works on killing mice? It contains a substance called an anticoagulant. This causes the mouse to lose the function to clot blood. When a dog or cats eats it, they also lose that function.

The hard part about this, is when an animal eats the poison, we usually don’t see it. The problem with not physically catching your pet in the act means you have no idea they have been poisoned. Symptoms usually don’t start until a week after ingestion. At this point, treatment is difficult and expensive. Many pets don’t make it.


Symptoms:

Many owners catch that their pet isn’t right because they start bleeding somewhere. Commonly the animal will get nosebleeds, urinate blood, have blood in their feces, bruise easily, vomit blood, or even ooze blood from their gums. The animal tends to be weak due to lack of blood volume, and is probably accumulating blood somewhere inside the body.

Treatment:

If you are lucky enough to catch your pet eating mouse poison, of any kind, make him/her vomit right away! By keeping fresh hydrogen peroxide around the house, this can be a quick and easy step. Give your dog about 1 Tbls for every 15 pounds. You can either put it straight in your pet’s mouth or mix it with bread or peanut butter. To be honest, if your pet ate mouse poisoning, this shouldn’t be too difficult of a task, your pet clearly will eat anything! If your pet doesn’t vomit within 15 minute’s, give another dosing of the hydrogen peroxide.

Be sure to get your animal into the vet right away so they can start treating with vitamin K.

Now, if you don’t catch your pet eating poison, but you do see signs of bleeding, get to a vet right away. Your vet will run a variety of blood tests to determine the severity. Your pet will receive blood products to return the blood loss. Your pet will also receive vitamin K to return the clotting factors. Your pet likely will stay at the vet anywhere from days to weeks depending on how bad the toxicity is.

Prevent:

Now, I get why you would have mouse poison around the house. Mice can cause a lot of damage, and a lot of people are afraid of them. But having this toxic substance around the house, even in place where you think your dog can’t get to, is not always safe. Pets are tricky. They will work and work at something until they get it. You probably already know this. The best bet to prevent a poisoning from happening is to keep all blocks, pellets, etc. of the mouse poisoning out of your home, garage, and any other place your animals goes. There are other options to kill mice. Try the old fashion traps. The good thing is if your pet triggers a trap, there is a small likelihood they are going to get trapped in it!

Have you had a pet eat mouse poison? Have you even thought about the dangers of keeping it around? On a side note, keeping the pet poison helplines number on hand is always a great resource when you’re in a time crunch 1-800-213-6680.

Comment, post, question, and learn. Lets connect!

twitter

Twisted Stomach: Not Just for Cows

In Health Tips on February 25, 2013 at 8:11 pm


ImageHave you ever come home to your dog looking a bit off? Your dog seems lethargic, anxious, possibly trying to vomit, and looks a little larger around the stomach. If this has happened to you then you probably already know the importance of bloat.

Dog’s have a tendency to become bloated after eating or drinking too much, or if they are active after eating or drinking. A bloated animal is referred to as a GDV—

gastric dilatation volvulus—if the stomach flips. If the stomach becomes distended with air or fluid than flips over, this is a true emergency! When the stomach flips, there’s no way to release the fluid and gas that has accumulated. These animals require surgery, and fast!

If the stomach is only distended with air and fluid, and not flipped, your pet should still be seem by a veterinarian because you can’t tell without an x-ray the severity of the situation. What the vet will look for is what’s referred to as the “double bubble.” This is where two gas-filled sections of the stomach appear. This is how vets know the pet has a GDV versus a gas-distended stomach.

So, if it is a GDV surgery is the only cure. The vet will go in and release the gas and suture the stomach against the animal’s body wall to prevent any further flipping. If the dog doesn’t have the double bubble we still need to get the air out. Generally a tube is placed down the dog’s throat and into the stomach to release the air. This is a very safe and effective procedure.

After surgery or releasing of the air, food and water should be restricted for at least 24-36 hours. Dogs should also be under veterinary care during that time to watch for further problems.

Now, I take care of a variety of dog breeds. Deep-chested dogs like your greyhounds, great danes, labs, goldens, shepherds, collies, etc. are one’s to be careful of. Another breed many don’t think of are dachshunds. To prevent something like this from happening here are a few things you can do:

  • Feed your pet 30 minutes before or after exercise
  • Do not allow water 30 minutes before and after meals
  • Never let your pet drink a full bowl of water at one time
  • Feed multiple meals versus once a day
  • Make sure your pets food is put in a safe location

There are times when your running late, or your dog gets into a large amount of food, this happens. But doing your best to prevent bloat can save you a trip to the emergency room and a couple thousand dollars. Share your pet’s stories with me! Has your pet ever bloated?

Comment, post, question, and learn. Lets connect!

twitter